There is so much hype and excitement in the weeks prior to Christmas. However, afterwards there tends to be long winter months that may lead to depression. Depression can be treated naturally. Extreme cases may need medication. However, mild to moderate cases of depression can be treated with alternative measures.
Some ways to beat depression and get through the winter months.
1. Continue to get exercise. If you can not be outside, try to get to a gym or workout in small spaces of time indoors. Exercise is important to keep your mind and body healthy. Even if your walking it is better than doing nothing at all.
2. Take vitamins and incorporate more Vitamin D. Certain vitamin defiencies from an unhealthy diet can lead to depression. Also take Omega 3 as a daily supplement.
3. Watch what your eating and drinking. Caffeine and alcohol can deplete serotonin levels. An imbalance of serotonin can lead to depression.
4. Make sure you balance your diet and as many fruits and vegetables as you can. These are very high in antioxidants and help prevent disease and give you energy.
5. Get enough sleep. Sleep is a way that your body can restore itself. If your not getting enough sleep your body will break down over time.
6. Herbal remedies are extremely effective. St. Johns Wort for example has very few side effects and in many cases just as effective as a prescription. By taking this route is also allows you to be in control of what your putting into your body and your treatment.
More information and articles below for your own research:
Serotonin and Depression
Vitamins for Depression
How to Survive the Mid-Winter Blues