Thursday, May 6, 2010

Living with gratitude in an age of attitude.

Have you ever stopped for a moment to think of what life was like for your grandparents or great grandparents, and thought of how much easier it must have been for them. Society has changed so dramatically in the last 60 years and in many ways it is better and in some ways, it is not. In fact, the progress in many cases has made Americans less happy...less satisfied with their over all life. What causes such an enormous amount of discontent is most-likely contributed to the incredible connections we have to media and things constantly filling our heads with the "ideal" body type, financial status, career, etc...
It is no wonder why 14 year old girls are ending up in psychologist offices all over the country seeking help because they feel depressed...the pressure is enormous! These young women grow up to be young mothers and wives and marry men who also have seen a culture completely torn apart by casual sex, false securities, and unattainable perfectionism. Suffering from feeling so unhappy in the middle of such abundant prosperity can be narrowed down to cultural, moral, and spiritual failure. People need to start changing their mindset!
Changing a mindset means taking the attitude and turning it into gratitude. Every time you think to utter one ungrateful complaint under your breath, think of something positive to be thankful for in your life. Every single person is in a different place on their journey. Life hands people all kinds of ugly stuff that in many cases is beyond their control. However, you can control your response.
Make a gratitude list today, carry it with you, and read it through out the day when you start to feel defeated.
Here are a few ideas of my own and a few that I have heard along the way.Maybe these can help you start brainstorming...jot down whatever you want and create your own!
-I am so thankful I can live in a country where having a healthy lifestyle is an option for me.
-I am grateful I have another day to change my life and live to the best ability that I can.
-I am thankful for a loving family.
-I am thankful that I have a roof over my head.
-I am thankful that I have freedom.
-I am thankful that I have a job when others have lost jobs or can not find one.
-I am so grateful we have food.
-I am thankful for smiles.
-I am glad we have a car.
-I am happy we have running water.
-I appreciate friends who are there no matter what.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete